Fundamentals of Strategic Management (online)
Strategic management is essential for all leaders and managers to accomplish their goals. The Fundamentals of Strategic Management online course is designed to update your understanding of what is important in strategic thinking.
In the course, you will focus on the key perspectives: corporate strategy, growth strategy, business model, strategy process perspective, strategy as practice, platform design and strategy, and implementation.
By participating in this course, you will quickly find answers to the following questions and learn the essentials all managers and leaders need to know about strategy.
- Why do we need to adopt a historical perspective on strategic management?
- What are the concepts of corporate strategy, competitive advantage, and strategic capabilities?
- How to think strategically about the growth of the organization?
- What are business model and business model innovation, and how do they differ from corporate strategy and growth strategy?
- What are the key elements of digital technologies that trigger current changes in the economic environment?
- What does the process perspective on strategy help us to understand?
- Why has strategy as a practice become an increasingly popular perspective in recent years?
By completing the course, the participant will get
8 video lectures
Online exercises and personal reflections to check your understanding of each theme
Learn on your own schedule and pace
Watch the introduction video of the sample module:
The course serves as a cost-effective and flexible way of improving managers' and experts' understanding of strategy. It is also a tool to provide selected teams, groups, or departments with a similar level of knowledge. The course allows flexible study patterns. You will be able to decide on your schedule and the speed at which you progress.
This online course is designed for managers and experts willing to learn the fundamentals of strategic management and to understand its implications on decision-making in today's organizations.
Learners in Need of Revision
The course is suitable for those who need to revisit the basic concepts and frameworks of strategic management. It also provides excellent preparatory assignments for students before enrolling in many of the training programs offered by Aalto EE.
History of Strategic Management
- Origins of Strategic management
- Schools of Thought in Strategic Management
- History here and now
- Competitive advantage
- Economies of scale and scope
- Competitive advantage through resources and strategic capabilities
- Strategy and company performance
- Internal and external growth strategies
- Merges and acquisitions as a growth strategy
- Growth through digital
- Business model
- Business model innovation
Platform Design and Strategy
- The essence of digital and platforms
- Multi-sided platforms
- Platform Strategies
- Platform strategy
Strategy Process Perspective
- Content vs. process in strategic management
- Intended, deliberate, emergent, and realized strategies
- Strategic evolution and path dependency
- Politics of strategic decision making
- Strategic thinking
Strategy as Practice
- Practices, Praxis and Practitioners in Strategy Work
- Practices of Strategy Work
- Orchestration of Strategy Work
- Participation in Strategy Work
- Strategic Communication
- Implementation - Translating Strategy into Action
- Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A)
- Post-M&A Integration
- Re-cap and Reflective question
Instructors: Eero Vaara, Professor of Organization and Management, Aalto University and Robin Gustafsson, Associate Professor of Strategic Management, Aalto University
Fee and Registration