Tools for Creating Strategic Advantage
Under conditions of constantly growing volatility and ambiguity, competitive advantage goes to those companies who best deduce the forces acting on their indus-try, and who most capably adapt their businesses to profit from them.
But nobody can predict the future. A lot rests, therefore, on an executive manager's superior ability to judge the course and timing of new initiatives under uncertain conditions.
The Strategic Foresight program is a comprehensive introduction to the approaches and tools of industry foresight, and how these link to the management decision-making process to create strategic advantage.
Participants will be able to apply the industry foresight toolkit to their own company and industry, giving them a real-world future management agenda to take back into their organization’s own planning process.
61st in annual Financial Times Executive Education Ranking
Discover the future market landscape
Ability to critically apply the industry foresight toolkit
- Give participants a conceptual overview and practical introduction to key methodologies of industry foresight, including horizon scanning, systems dynamics, driving force analysis, trend tracking, cognitive model de-biasing, scenario planning, etc., as well as an approach to using these tools in an integrated way
- Develop participants’ ability, confidence, and critical savvy in using industry foresight approaches and tools in decision-making and creating strategic advantage, as part of their leadership function
- Improve leadership skills by providing participants with a solid analytical framework for management decisions where variables are too uncertain or too long-term to be satisfactorily evaluated with core financial or operational tools
- Create an enhanced, sophisticated view of current macro-change and the current cross-industry change-drivers, and their effect on businesses and business models
- Develop experience with the common base of future-oriented management challenges that face executives, and best practices for navigating decisions at this level
This program illustrates with examples, activities and guest speakers, how to develop an integrated management foresight perspective to make better business decisions under conditions of external uncertainty, and turn this advantage into profitable real-world products and services.
By attending this program you will be able to:
- Determine and apply analytical frameworks for decisions whose variables are too uncertain or too long range to be evaluated with standard analytical tools
- Understand appropriate uses of business forecasting and planning, and current best practices, including a critical analysis of the limits of these tools in interpreting the competitive environment and creating strategic advantage
- Apply theoretical and practical experience using methods of industry foresight, including the ability to select among and critically apply the toolkit options, to better interpret the evolving external environment and manage associated risks and opportunities
- Integrate the tools of industry foresight into the rest of the business strategy, decision formation and leadership decision-making process
- Turn industry foresight perspectives into new initiatives, products, services, business models, or customer interfaces
- Critically assess the business forecasts of competing businesses, industry “gurus”, management consultants, or the media
The Strategic Foresight program is designed for Senior executives and managers responsible for strategic decision-making and direction-setting in their company, business or division.
It is also relevant for
- Leaders who need approaches and tools that help them understand industry change and future operating conditions, and how to transfer these insights into creating strategic advantage
- Management consultants, or those with interest in strategic planning or business adaptation to market and technology change
Contents and Schedule
The program incorporates interactive workshop-style lectures, group work, videos and guest speakers, blending analytical models with worked examples and real-world situations.
Based in theory, it is decidedly pragmatic in style and approach, selecting the best materials and solutions from both academic and business sources.
Program Fee and Registration
The program fee for the Strategic Foresight program is € 4,100 (+ VAT).
The program fee includes learning materials, lunches, and coffee breaks during the program days.
Please note that the program fee does not include travel expenses or accommodation. VAT is applicable to private persons and Finnish companies.
Register for the program by May 13, 2018.